Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Discovering Adulthood @ Amsterdam

Today was an interesting day. A lot of work for sure, and still a lot left to be done. However, my friends and I took a well deserved break and went out for dinner. My friends decided to go to eat at this really nice restaurant here in Auburn called Amsterdam. It's really nice... and dang expensive. And I literally have 48 cents to my name right now. But I went along because I needed to get out of that computer lab.
We actually first stopped at this ultra-cool bookstore/coffee shop called Gnu's Room and ran into a couple of Ashley and Rebecca's friends, who also came to eat with us. I felt bad because all I ate was rolls and what was left on Rebecca's plate. But it was very delicious and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
The strangest part of the night for me, though, was when we were all discussing how tired and stressed we were, and Ashley suddenly burst out, "Hey! We're adults now, you know? We've always wondered when that line would appear, and now we're to that point. We're officially adults!"

And that got me thinking. I am an adult. I'm no longer a teen under my parents' thumb who can blame her bad decisions on her age. I have no choice but to be responsible for my actions. There are no excuses anymore. I'm in charge of making my own choices in life.
But do I really want to be here yet? That's the question. I mean, I'm loving the freedom that comes from being independent. And I'm glad I have friends that I can sit and have coffee and have adult conversations with.
But do I want to be to that point yet? Do I really feel responsible enough to climb this next hill in life? Probably not yet. I'll start trying on the journey, but I don't want to really put the pedal to the floor quite so soon.

After we finished eating, conversation slowly drifted off. Then he-who-was-highly-featured-in-that-emotional-post came by and said hi. Apparently he had called in take out. (What an odd phrase, "called in take out"...hmmm.) And now I'm home, full of buttery rolls and leftovers, and ready to get back to the responsible life. Or am I?

I think I'm going to play a game at neopets.com first. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment